Tuesday, April 2, 2013

"B For Bible Study: Friend Of Jesus


Bible Study  Friend of Jesus

Pic. Credit SXC.HU
Scripture: Romans 12:14, Acts 6-7, Luke 4:28-30, John 15:19, Matthew 12:14, John 8:57-59, Matthew 5:44, Ephesians 3:16, John 15:15-16

Have you ever had someone dislike you because of something you've said or done? Most of us have experienced that. Have you ever had someone dislike you because of one of your friends? If you're a Christian, that has happened--or will happen someday. Why? Jesus explains.

What Does God Say?
"'I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name'" (John 15:15-16, NLT).

Jesus reminds us that as Christ-followers we are not just His servants, but we are His friends. Being a friend of Jesus is one of the privileges of being a Christian. But Jesus makes a prediction for His friends.

"The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you" (John 15:19, NLT).

What kind of prediction did Jesus make for His friends?
According to these verses, why will the world hate you?
Read the following verses and answer the questions.

Matthew 12:14

Why did the Pharisees call a meeting in Matthew 12?
Luke 4:28-30

Who was furious with Jesus in Luke 4:28-30?
What did they do to Jesus?
What did they intend to do?
How did Jesus get away?
John 8:57-59

Who was upset with Jesus in these verses?
What did they use to express their anger?
How did Jesus get away?
After reading the above verses, what do you learn about the relationships Jesus had with others (especially the religious leaders) during the last three years of His life?

My Thoughts
Do you understand why as a Christ-follower you will be disliked or hated even though you have done nothing to deserve it?

Dr. Woodrow Kroll, Bible Teacher, clarifies: "When you live a life that pleases the Lord, you are a problem to people who don't please the Lord. So, is it any wonder, then, that the world hates you? When I say to you, 'Have a good and godly day,' I am saying to you, 'You do that, and you're going to be hated because of it.' Why? Because the world doesn't know God."

Randomly scribble any words that express how you feel when you consider that you will be hated and perhaps even persecuted someday because of your faith.

If "fear" or a similar emotion is on your list, take your list before God and tell Him how you feel. Then think about this.

How does Jesus expect you to respond to hostility and perhaps even persecution? (Matthew 5:44, Romans 12:14).
Who will give you the strength to respond appropriately? (Ephesians 3:16).
My Part
Are you a friend of Jesus? If so, you can expect some people to have a very negative reaction to you.

Ask the Lord to strengthen you by the power of the Holy Spirit and to give you the character of Christ, in particular His courage and compassion. See Acts 6 and 7 for Stephen's example. 


By Dr. Woodrow Kroll




3 comments:

  1. Once again the A to Z challenge sends me places I would never go on my own. I don't see Christians being persecuted for their beliefs, not in western society at any rate. I've been an atheist most of my adult life and I've always felt that Christianity was the norm and I was an outsider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for dropping in today...and what a feast of study you have put together...printed it out to look over this evening when i do my reading...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ask at the end of your post. I really needed to hear it today.

    ReplyDelete